Softball resumes MAAC play in Monmouth, Rider
UNIVERSITY OF NIAGARA, NY – The Violet and White are looking to rebound from a pair of midweek road losses when they travel to The Garden State to take on MAAC foes Monmouth and Rider on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.
Saturday’s doubleheader with the Hawks is scheduled to start at noon in West Long Branch, NJ, and Sunday’s fixture with the Broncs is scheduled for an 11 a.m. start in Lawrenceville, NJ.
• Niagara fell in both games of a doubleheader against Youngstown State.
• Game one went to extras, with the Penguins winning in the eighth 4-3, while game two was decided by a score of 9-2.
• Niagara won the first four games of its MAAC schedule for the first time under the head coach Larry Puzan. It is also the team’s best league start since starting 3-0 in 2008.
• Maggie Kelner leads Niagara with an average of .326 and 10 doubles. The second has played six games multiple times this season and reached base safely in 13 of 19 games. Kellner also leads the team in OPS (.910).
• Kelsey Harrigan has the best on-base percentage of the teams (.433). Through 19 games this season. She reached base 27 times and scored a team best 13 times.
• The Purple Eagles leader in home runs is Samantha Hare. The Kenmore, NY native threw two over the wall against Holy Cross on March 13. Riley Crum and Alicia Nash also have long balls this season.
• Hare also leads the Violet and White with 16 RBIs and has five games this season with two or more scored.
• A total of six Purple Eagles have double-digit success this season, led by Kellner’s 21.
• Niagara has allowed 90 runs in 119.1 innings this season.
• Riley Crum leads NU with a 2.02 ERA. She is 3-2 in seven starts this season and allowed 12 runs and 23 hits in 27.2 innings.
• Maddie Hickingbottom is Niagara’s #2 starter. The UB transfer pitched 36.2 innings, allowing 38 runs on 43 hits.
• Niagara’s Cara Leone and Julia Thompson racked up 51.0 innings in relief. Leone has a 3.87 ERA and Thompson has a 2.94 ERA and two saves.
History of the series: Monmouth
• Niagara and Monmouth have met 16 times before Saturday’s DH.
• The Hawks lead the all-time series, 13-3.
• Niagara last beat Monmouth on April 22, 2017, 6-3.
History of the series: Rider
• Since 2013, Niagara is 22-16 against the Broncs, including a 10-12 record on the road.
• Niagara and Rider have shared the last 10 meetings.
• In four games with the Broncs last season, the Purple Eagles went 1-3 and scored 11 points.
• Niagara will wrap up its home-and-away series with Youngstown State on Tuesday, April 12. The two teams will meet for a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m.