SMECO presents the 100% renewable energy tariff option. Customers can choose endorsement G

SMECO

HUGHESVILLE, Md. – Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO) has received approval from the Maryland Public Service Commission to make available a 100% renewable energy option for residential and commercial accounts.

SMECO will purchase Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to cover the total amount of energy used by members who sign up for the green energy option, called “Rider G”. Since SMECO already gets 32% of its energy from renewables, members who sign up for Rider G will be charged an additional rate to pay for renewable energy for the remaining 68% of the energy they use each month.

The Rider G rate will be updated on or about January 1 of each year for REC price changes and purchase percentages. The rate may also be adjusted at other times whenever significant market price changes occur.

SMECO members interested in the Rider G fare can find more information or register online at smeco.coop/go green. Members purchasing power through another supplier are not eligible for SMECO’s Rider G green power option, but there are other suppliers who may also offer a 100% renewable option or contracts with different levels of renewable energy. Alternative suppliers can be found under the “Shop for Electricity” link on the Maryland PSC website—www.psc.state.md.us.

SMECO – The Cooperative Difference –

SMECO was incorporated in 1937 and is one of the 15 largest electric cooperatives in the United States with over 169,000 member accounts in Charles County, St. Mary’s County, southern Prince George’s County and most of Calvert County.

Electricity co-ops are shaped by the communities they serve, because co-ops are owned by their customers. The members of the cooperative elect the men and women who sit on the board of directors. Members share the responsibility of ownership by financing the operations of the cooperative, but they also share in its rewards.

At the end of each year, the margins (profits) of SMECO are allocated to the capital credit accounts of the members. SMECO uses its profits to invest in new construction, system improvements and facility upgrades. The board regularly assesses the co-op’s financial situation and determines when members will receive a refund. Since 1937, SMECO has repaid over $110 million.

As a cooperative, SMECO will always put its members first and be responsive, reliable and resourceful – the power you can count on.

Follow SMECO on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SMECO.coop and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/somdelectric.

The SMECO 24/7 mobile application is available on www.smeco.coop/247.

Earnest L. Veasey