Niagara Falls to Rider in Five Sets
LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ – Niagara (13-14, 10-8 MAAC) fell to Rider (17-11, 14-4 MAAC), 3-2 (26-24, 25-18, 20-25, 22-25, 7-15), in his last game of the regular season on Sunday.
- The Broncs went on an 8-3 run to open the set before NU won three straight points to cut the lead to two points, 8-6.
- Trailing by three, 11-8, kills from Jaycie Roberts and Sarah Weiby put the Purple Eagles one point okne from the lead, 11-10.
- A block of Weiby and Taylor Allen and consecutive aces of darling amanda Niagara place in the lead, 13-12.
- The Purple Eagles and Broncs went back and forth and Rider regained the lead, 23-20.
- A Kill of Jessia Streuer and Roberts’ 100and Career ace sulks NU back within one, 23-22.
- Rider took a lead by two, 24-22, but Niagara scored four straight points, including three kills from Mary Redl, to close the set and earn a victory from behind 26-24 set one.
- Trailing a point early, 7-6, Niagara went on a 5-0 run, including kills from Redl and Roberts and a block from Roberts and Laryssa Imbuzeiro, to take the lead, 11-7.
- A kill from Allen and another ace from Roberts extended Niagara’s lead to six points, 16-10.
- The Broncs came within four, 20-16, but kills from Redl and Roberts and a block by Imbuzeiro and Kelly McArthur kept the Purple Eagles in the lead, 23-16.
- The Purple Eagles allowed Rider just two more points and a block from Allen and McArthur earned NU the 25-18 win in straight sets.
- The Broncs took an 11-5 lead in the third set. A pilot service error and a Roberts kill cut the pilot’s lead to four, 11-7.
- Down five, 14-9, a kill from Allen, an error from Rider and a solo block from Redl put the Purple Eagles less than two points clear, 14-12.
- The Broncs took a five-point lead, 20-15, but three straight kills from Roberts put NU within two, 20-18.
- Rider, however, kept control of the rest of the set, winning the third set, 25-20.
- The score was tied, 6-6, when a kill and an ace from Redl put the Purple Eagles ahead, 8-6.
- The Purple Eagles and Rider went back and forth and Rider took a 16-13 lead. Kills from Redl and Roberts cut the Broncs lead to one, 16-15.
- Niagara and the Broncs continued to trade points and a Redl kill and Rider offensive error sent the Purple Eagles up one point, 22-21, but Rider scored four straight points to win the set, 25-22, and tie the match, 2-2.
- The Broncs went on an 8-2 run to open the fifth set.
- An Imbuzeiro kill cut Rider’s lead to five points, 8-3.
- The Broncs scored four straight points to edge the Purple Eagles by nine points, 12-3.
- A kill from Roberts, an ace from Imbuzeiro, a block from McArthur and Allen and an error from Rider brought NU within five points of the lead, 12-7.
- Rider, however, scored the three points he needed to win the set. 15-7, and the match, 3-2.
Eagle eye activated
- Roberts recorded it 18and double-double of the season with 15 digs and a team-high 20 eliminations.
- Redl also had a double-double with 19 kills and 14 digs.
- Darling led the Purple Eagles in digs with 26.
- Streuer had 24 assists. McArthur added a career-high 22 assists.
- Darling and Roberts each had two aces.
- Imbuzeiro led the team in blocking with nine blocks overall, which is his career high. Weiby added five blocks in total, a career high.
- The MAAC Championships will take place November 19-21 in Albany, NY. The standings and first-round matches are yet to be determined.