Baseball visits Rider for a midweek game
RU sits 13-5 on the season after a 1-2 weekend at Nebraska Omaha. The Scarlet Knights will play their 18th road game of the season against the Broncs and it will only be the 9th game the team has played in the Eastern Time Zone.
There will be no video feed from Tuesday’s game. WRSU 88.7-FM will broadcast the radio and fans can also visit the links above to catch live stats from the game.
- Rutgers lost a tight three-game set at Nebraska Omaha, losing Friday (1-0) and Sunday (3-2, 12 inn.) games in playoff fashion, while winning by a score of 7-1 on Saturday .
- Jared Kollar continued his dominance on the mound in the series opener, going 7.1 innings without allowing a run, striking out 10 and walking none. Kollar now has a 1.84 ERA and 0.75 WHIP in five starts this season.
- Brian Fitzpatrick got off to a strong start Saturday, pitching 5.0 scoreless innings with 6 strikeouts and no walks. Evan Sleigh, Garrett Callaghan and Tony Santa Maria all homered in the 7-1 victory.
- An RBI doubled by Ryan Lasko and solo house run by Nick Cimillo gave Rutgers 2 first innings in the series finale on Sunday, but the Mavericks would come back to tie it and eventually knock it out in the bottom of the 12th inning.
- Rutgers currently leads the Big Ten in AVG (.319), Doubles (49), Doubles/G (2.72), Hits (218), OBP (.417), Sacrifice Bunts (11), Runs/G (8.6), Shutouts (4), SLG% (.495) as well as Fielding Percentage (.980)
- Nick Cimillo leads the Big Ten in all three slash categories, slashing .453/.573/.813. Cimillo also leads Rutgers with five homers and 17 walks for just 9 strikeouts.
- In addition to Cimillo, four other Scarlet Knights are hitting above .300 this season in Evan Sleigh (.383), Danny DiGeorgio (.365), Joshua Kuroda Grauer (.340) and Richie Schiekofer (.333).
- Rutgers three weekend (Jared Kollar, Brian Fitzpatrick, Natalie Florence) the starters pitched 16.1 innings against Omaha and had only 2 earned runs. They also combined to strike out 23 batters while walking one. On the season, the three starters have a combined ERA of 2.78.
- As a team, Rutgers leads the Big Ten in shutouts (4), K/BB (2.84), WHIP (1.18) and BB/9 (3.57)
- Ben Gorsky pitched another 1.2 scoreless innings in the Omaha Series and has now pitched 11.1 innings this season, all without allowing a run.
- The bullpen trio Gorsky, Dale Stanavich and Sam Bello dominated for 18 games, hitting a tiny 1.15 ERA (5 ER in 39.1 IP)
- Rutgers are 43-30 against Rider, the last meeting being a 5-4 win by Scarlet Knight at Piscataway on 05/01/2019.
- Steve Owens never faced Rider as Rutgers head coach
- Dr. Barry Davis is the head coach of the Broncs and has held that position since the 2005 season. He is 5-9 against Rutgers in his career.
Rutgers opens the Big Ten game on the road at Penn State. The first game in the series is Friday at 6:00 p.m., followed by a contest at 5:00 p.m. Saturday that will air on the Big Ten Network. The series finale is Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all the latest news and updates. For specific baseball updates, follow the program on Twitter (@RutgersBaseball), Instagram (@rutgersbaseball) and Facebook (/BaseballRU). For additional updates, please download the Scarlet Knights app via the App Store or Play Store.